Do you prefer to clean your carpets with a broom or vacuum cleaner? Both of these tools are designed to help remove dirt, debris, and spills from your floors to help keep them clean and looking crisp. However, there is a debate that has been raging for years and will continue to pique homeowners: will regular vacuuming damage your carpets?
So, getting right to the point of whether it’s best to vacuum your carpets: the short answer is YES; a vacuum cleaner is more effective at cleaning your carpets. And no, they won’t damage your carpets as people believe. In fact, dirt often causes more wear-and-tear on your carpet than the suction power of most vacuum cleaners.
A good, old-fashioned broom has been proven time and time again that it’s a useful tool for the job, but in recent years, the power vacuum has become the go-to tool for cleaning carpets. A broom is adequate when cleaning up dirt in certain circumstances and on hard surface floors (wood, tile, concrete).
The question of whether you should use a broom or vacuum cleaner also depends on the scope of the mess and where it landed. For example, if somebody spills food on a carpet you’ve deep cleaned two days ago, you’d usually grab a broom and dustpan. High-traffic areas need to be cleaned at least once a week with a vacuum cleaner.
In the end it’s just a matter of preference. Let’s take a look at the benefits of vacuums and brooms in greater depth to help you choose the option that best suits your floor cleaning needs.
· You can sweep up dirt right away – no need to assemble attachments.
· No noise, so it can be used any time of the night and day.
· It is cheaper and doesn’t require replacement parts
· can be stored easily; hardly takes any storage space
· Easier to carry around and manoeuvre
· Isn’t powered by electricity, so you’ll keep your bills lower
· Can easily clean hard-to-reach areas around the home
· Unlike a broom that only cleans on the surface, a vacuum cleaner pulls out dirt stuck deep within the fibres of your carpets and cracks and crevices of your flooring.
· Has more advanced cleaning abilities
· Vacuuming is a less intense activity than sweeping
· Saves time and energy
· You don’t need to constantly bend down to empty dustpans
· Comes with nozzles designed for different cleaning requirements such as crevice tools, extension wand and turbo brush.
· Less likely to generate dust as it works
· Can be used on other surfaces such as you bed and windowsills to remove pet hair and dust
Simply stated, vacuum cleaners give you superior dirt and dust removal to regular brooms. And because they provide such versatile suction abilities, many people find vacuum cleaners more effective than going over their carpets with a sweeper.
Additionally, with so many different types and features available, it’s easy to find one that suits specific floor cleaning needs. If you’re hesitant to use a vacuum cleaner on your precious carpets (or you simply don’t have the time), the best and safest solution is to use professional residential cleaning services in Cape Town. We are reputable carpet cleaners in Cape Town, who know how to effectively operate modern vacuum cleaners and handle all the different types of carpets with care.